Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Top Albums of 2006 and not-2006


by Matt "Roundhouse" Healy


First off, I was hesitant to submit this to people in 2005, however, last year's lists introduced me to some of my favorite albums. I don't always subscribe 100% to the most current albums. So, my list will be a mixture of 1. Great 2006 albums; 2. Pretty good 2006 albums; 3. 2006 Albums I've heard, don't own, but like a lot (just don't want to lie and pretend like I have these); and 4. Albums that I have listened to the most that have nothing to do with 2006

Great 2006 Albums
1. Beck: The Information
-not his all time best, but definately worth having.
-"cell phone's dead" is badass
2. The Whigs: Give 'Em All a Big Fat Lip
-very small band, friends of friends of many of the people on this list, went to UGA. Their first album, might be favorite album of the year actually
3. The Black Keys: Magic Potion
-every time I think that I'm going to get tired of their sound, they come out with something new that is the exact same as their previous albums, but are still really good.

Pretty Good 2006 Albums:
1. The Strokes: First Impressions of Earth
-very good, but doesn't compare to their first 2
2. T.I.: King
-it's no biggie, but a pretty damn good rap album
3. Ghostface Killah: Fishscale
-It's no Liquid Swords, Tical, or Cuban Linx but still good
4. Racontuers: Broken Boy Soldier
-No where near is good as the white stripes, in my opinion, but good
5. Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I am, that's what I'm not
-Lot's of hype, but still good

Albums I've heard, don't own, but like a lot:
1. Wolfmother
-basically Led Zepplin or Black Sabbath, which is fine by me
2. The Rapture: Pieces of the People We Love
3. Cold War Kids
4. Tapes N' Tapes: The Loon

Albums that I've listened to this year that have nothing to do with 2006:
*not that any of these are revelutionary recommendations, just saying this is what I've listened to a lot lately
1. Johnny Cash: Live from San Quentin
2. The Go! Team
3. Elliott Smith: Either/Or
4. The Beatles: Beatles for Sale
5. Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground
6. Neil Young: Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home