Thursday, November 16, 2006

Why does everyone gottta be up in everyone else's business?

Here are 2 links that are making me thinking this week:
  • NARTH (The National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality) is a service for people trying to overcome "gender identity disorders." Its counselors help you learn not to be gay.
  • US News and World Report features this article about activist atheists trying to "save" the US from it's self-destructive addiction to God.

Now, I realize that NARTH provides a service to people who want help. And I realize that many atheists and agnostics are trying to influence public policy. But still - aren't groups like these also trying to change people's minds?

There's nothing more American than sticking your nose into other people's affairs. While it is human to disagree with your opponents, it seems that our fellow countrymen want to take it a step farther. "Not only do I think you are wrong," they say, "but I will try to change you."

If I'm gay, why won't you just let me be gay? If I believe in God, why won't you just let me believe in God? Jesus, people.....aren't there more important things to worry about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home