Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Top Ten Albums of 2006

by The Ocean Princess

Here's my list…full of Americana Roots, now that I look at it. Most of my "old" friends would not believe it.

1.
Bob Dylan
Modern Times
His first new album in five years, but for me one of his best. "It serves as a cracked, surrealistic tribute to the music Dylan loves best." Paste
"Aint Talkin, I'm not playing, I'm not pretending, I'm not nursing no superfluous fears"

2.
Gomez
How We Operate
UK band has put out six albums, but this is the first I know of them.. Understand they've had the same lineup since 1996.

3.
Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
The River in Reverse
"It's an old thing,\It's a soul thing\But it's a real thing."
Great tribute to the residents of New Orleans, and to Costello and Toussaint's incredible talents.

4.
Darrell Scott
The Invisible Man
I'm a big fan of Darrell Scott, and try to see him whenever I can. Besides being a great songwriter and singer, he's a really nice guy.
"The album is laced with subtle humor and blatant humanity, incredible picking and exquisite arrangements." No Depression

5.
Neko Case
Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
I like to listen to her, I don't like to read about her.

6.
Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians
Stranger Things
Edie with the old band and new creative energy

7. Solomon Burke
Nashville
Great storyteller with a soul sound. Help from Al Perkins, Sam Bush and David Rawlings.

8A
Sam Bush
Laps in Seven
White Bird with Jean-Luc Ponty is incredible. They didn't play it together, Ponty added his music over Sam's from his studio in Paris; and Sam's dog does drink his water in seven count. "Bush has reinvented string band music just as surely as Picasso reinvented painting". No Depression

8B
Dave Alvin
West of the West
Dave Alvin didn't write any of these songs, but I like his interpretations.

9.
Tony Bennett
Duets
Loved him when I was 13, and I still do. Seems like so does Bono, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, Dixie Chicks……..

10.
Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris
All the Roadrunning
It was made for the boomer fan base, so it's okay for me to like it.

Three single songs that get honorable mention:

Ray Wylie Hubbard (Snake Farm)
Snake Farm

Malvern Taylor (Fabuloso)
Sad and Blue

Gourds (Heavy Ornamentals)
Shake a Chandelier

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home